« Home | Passing Strangers » | Snow Queen » | Papa » | Carrick , The Galloway Coast » | 024 » | Donald Dewar » | Choppers » | Race » | theatrics 2 » | , originally uploaded by lordoye."I frequently tra... » 

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 

the path past the roots

"Tollohill's car park is an ice flow. A couple of days before this visit it was a case of drive in and drive right out again without setting foot out of the car. Braver souls and paws had dared it but for me it had to wait until a small thaw meant a less dangerous journey from car to main path. The paths themselves are actually alright, just as to be seasonal expectedly soggy and muddy.

There was no light to get worked up about but I'm still probably unreasonably caught up it the difference in image quality and especially at various iso in comparison between my old 400d and the Christmas acquisition of my 5d Mark ii. So I was happy to just experiment at shooting wide open at f1.8 with Canon's EF 85mm f1.8 USM.

Mostly I've got a habit in wooded areas of shooting at apertures of f5.6 or higher. But I was shooting the view from the car park down to the city (going again for more depth of field at f8 etc) and feeling kind of 'meh' about the results. I realised it was because the image I was seeing in my head and what I wanted was that view of the bridge and river out of focus. So if nothing else that thankfully reminded me to try leaving the aperture wide open and from there could head into actual woods."

C'est féérique, très belle photo.

Post a Comment

The Flickr Scotland Blog

  • A Photo Blog where photographers from all around the Scotland, and visitors to the country, capture the best of the nation's places, people, history, views, scenery, buildings and architecture, townscapes, cityscapes and culture.

    And of course the quirky....

    The Blog has been featured in the Sunday Herald Magazine and has been highlighted on the Flickr Blog.

    The Flickr Scotland Blog is run by Calum and Victoria, strongly supported by Pamela

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates