"in the Glasgow City Chambers.
The City Chambers in Glasgow, Scotland has functioned as the headquarters of Glasgow City Council since 1996, and of preceding forms of civic government in the city since 1889, located on the eastern side of the city's George Square. The building was constructed between 1882 and 1888 by the architect William Young and is an eminent example of Victorian civic architecture. Inaugurated in August 1888 by Queen Victoria, the first council meeting was held within the buildings in October 1889. The building originally had an area of 5016 square metres. In 1923, an extension to the east side of the building in John Street was opened and in 1984 Exchange House in George Street was completed, increasing the size of the City Chambers complex to some 14,000 square metres.
Pillars of marble and granite give way to staircases of Carrera marble, freestone, and alabaster, and a ceiling decorated in gold leaf is topped by a stained glass dome.